Antony Withdrawn From Brazil Squad Amid Abuse Allegations
Manchester United winger Antony was recently withdrawn from the Brazilian national team following allegations of abuse by his ex-girlfriend. The Premier League club and player have released statements in response to the serious accusations.
Background on the Allegations
On Monday, Antony’s ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin gave an interview to Brazilian outlet UOL alleging physical abuse by the soccer star. She claimed multiple incidents occurred between May 2022 and June 2022.
Cavallin provided photos and screenshots of messages as evidence of the alleged abuse. The details of her accusations have not been made fully public yet.
Antony, 23, had been called to play for Brazil in the upcoming 2026 World Cup qualifiers. However, the national team announced he was being removed from the squad in light of the allegations.
Brazil and Manchester United Respond
Brazil’s football federation released a statement confirming Antony would no longer be part of the national team for the upcoming matches. Arsenal forward Gabriel Jesus will take his place on the roster.
Part of Brazil’s statement read: “As a result of the facts that have come to light, and which need to be investigated, and to safeguard the supposed victim, the player, and the Brazilian national team, the CBF has withdrawn [him] from the squad.”
Read More :
- Michigan’s Passing Game Renaissance: A Nine-Month Odyssey
- Declan Rice’s £105 Million Arrival: Arsenal’s Manchester United Game-Changer
- Fourth-Quarter Frenzy: North Carolina Stays Ahead with 31-17 Lead Over South Carolina
- End of an Era: Michael Mmoh Ends John Isner’s Career at US Open
Manchester United also responded to the allegations against their high-profile winger. The club said they are taking the matter seriously and will refrain from further comment during the ongoing police investigation.
Antony Denies Allegations
Shortly after Brazil’s announcement, Antony issued his statement denying the accusations. He claimed he was innocent and that the allegations were false.
The footballer said his relationship with his ex was tumultuous, but he never committed any physical abuse. Antony said he submitted a statement to police in June when the allegations first emerged.
He expressed confidence that the police inquiries would prove his innocence. However, Brazil and Manchester United felt it best to distance themselves from Antony.
What This Means for Antony’s Career
The abuse accusations put Antony’s flourishing career in jeopardy. Manchester United signed the young Brazilian player this summer for a whopping $95 million transfer fee.
He was expected to be integral to Manchester United’s offense this Premier League season. But his team position may be in question until the investigation concludes.
Playing for Brazil’s national team at the World Cup is also a dream for most Brazilian players. Antony will likely miss out on that opportunity if the allegations cast doubt on his character.
The police inquiry into the matter is still in the early stages. Antony maintains his innocence but must step away from his team for now.
Antony will need to cooperate fully with the police investigation in Brazil. Manchester United will also likely conduct their internal research.
If evidence does corroborate Gabriela’s accusations, Antony could face serious consequences professionally and legally. However, if his name is cleared, he will hopefully be able to continue building his soccer career.
Above all, the most important outcome is getting to the truth and achieving justice for any wrongdoing committed. Antony’s future will remain in limbo until more facts come to light.
Antony won’t take the field for Brazil or Manchester United as the situation unfolds. All eyes will remain on the allegation’s impact on the rising soccer star in the weeks ahead.